Monday, January 09, 2006

Today is the big day...

and I cant sleep a wink. Its windy outside, all the dogs in the neighborhood are barking up a storm, I keep trying to make sure I did everything I was supposed to do before school tomorrow (or now its today I guess since its passed midnight), and I just have all these feelings running through my mind. I was driving home from Michaels tonight, and he was so sweet, he was hugging me goodbye and he just had the sweetest tone in his voice and look in his eye, and he just said "I am SO proud of you baby" awww. So on my way home...I just kinda realized that sometimes I dont give myself enough credit, I know we are our own worst critics, but I think I need to give myself a little more credit than I do. So here is my go at why "I" am proud of me.

Things I have accomplished since high school:
-losing 50+ pounds and keeping it off
-holding down a job since I was 15 and a half
-graduating high school with a 3.8 GPA
-never having ANY debt
-paying my credit card off, in full, every month
-never driving my car after drinking
-never letting the influences of my friends change my goals in life (i'll explain more later)
-getting my pharmacy technician license
-getting my CNA license
-saving $7,500 to pay for cosmetic surgery
-finding someone that I can spend the rest of my life with who wants to spend the rest of their life with me too (that ones my favorite)

I was thinking of myself in high school compared to now. In high school, my friends were my entire life. I had a big, close knit group of friends (who of course gossiped like crazy about eachother, but thats what teenage girls do I guess) and I really dont talk to very many of them anymore. I was always the friend that everyone could call because I always listened, and never had really any drama of my own (growing up as the fat kid you really dont get asked out on too many dates). I guess I was kinda the ugly duckling of the group, and I remember always being SO jealous of them all, because they had the cutest clothes, or all the guys wanted them. Now that I think about it, I wasted way too much time being jealous in comparison to what my life is now. I am not trying to say I am better than anybody, I know that sometimes people make bad choices that can put them in places in their life they never intended to be, but I am just thankful, that even though all of these "friends" made these poor decisions, I never followed in their footsteps, which amazes me because I looked up to all of them all throughout school.

Its almost 1...school starts tomorrow, I need to attempt to get some sleep.

Thats all for now


3 comments:

niki said...

That is amazing...what happened to those girls.
I like the fact that you didn't let them influence you and that they still are your friends.
Good for you that you made it. Congradulations!!!

Erin Cookmeyer said...

I am so proud of you too! You have to look at what might have been to know that you are in a great place now. Big hugs to you!

Unknown said...

WOW Alex, that is a long list of friends. I don't talk to any of my high school friends. Not they turn out bad or anything I just realized in the end they really weren't my friends. You have come a long way, keep up the good work!