Wednesday, January 11, 2006

So I made it!!!! I survived the first week of nursing school, and I am still alive! I feel really really overwhelmed, and keep questioning wether I am in the right place or not, but I know that once I fall into the routine, with studying and everything, that I will be fine. Today was a NERVE WRACKING day though, omg. We had to demonstrate our skills in front of our clinical instructor, and with a passing grade or we couldnt move on to do clinicals in the hospital. I had to do:
handwashing
isolation equipment
transfering a patient from bed to wheelchair
blood pressure
pulse
respirations
making an occupied bed

as simple as they sound, its SO scary to have the teacher watching your every move. I made it though, and actually got some good comments from her, so I was happy. Everyone in the nursing program has told me that this instructor is SO tough (Shara), but I picked her for my clinicals anyways because I know I will have to deal with her at some point, so its better now so I can get it over with. I think she is VERY nice, but that could change once we actually get into the hospital. I just have to keep reminding myself that I am not there for her, I am there so I can get my degree, and that I just have to get through her to get there.

We actually have 5 days off, which is really nice. Monday is MLK day, so no class. I am going to read ahead as much as possible, so that I can feel more prepared when I am in class and understand what they are talking about more. They dont even like "ease" you into this program, I swear its like sink or swim. Its a little intimidating, but I know I just need to throw myself out there and be the best I can be, or I wont make it. I am going to be as involved as possible when we have labs and clinical, lets hope that approach works for me.

There is one lady in my clinical class that just makes me CRAZY....and I am stuck with her for the next EIGHT weeks. Doesnt sound like long, but it feels like it now.

I was pretty much UN focused on my workouts and eating this week...probably because I havent fallen into a "schedule" yet, so its been hard, but next week I am going to try my best to make time for me, and to avoid eating out as much as possible and bring my lunch when I can. I need to remember to bring snacks for the day so I dont eat a ton at dinner, and I need to bring WATER to drink in class.

thats all for now, back to studying!

No comments: